All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDr Christina Devenish, Suffragist and Theosophist, is running a birth control clinic in Bombay in 1931. When the clinic is burnt down in an independence riot, her father invites her to visit him in Bhutan, where he is an advisor at the court of the Shabdrung, Bhutan's version of the Dalai Lama. Arriving in Calcutta, Christina joins a British expedition to Bhutan led by Major Owen Davies, a tough Political Officer. Davies has the covert brief to resolve, even by 'drastic action', the rivalry between the Shabdrung and the Maharaja, Bhutan's temporal ruler. Christina's father is deeply embroiled in the Great Game: and for Davies, he's on the wrong side. As Christina and Owen Davies journey toward the Himalayas, they begin a hungry love affair, kwing that other loyalties will soon intrude; and when Christina meets the Shabdrung, the young god-king's effect on her leads to a devastating final act.
- Author BiographyDesmond Barry was born and brought up in Wales. He works in Tibet during the summer and is presently an External Fellow at Glamorgan University. He is the author of two previous novels, The Chivalry of Crime and A Bloody Good Friday.
- Author(s)Desmond Barry
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication02/06/2005
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 Illustrations
- Weight285 g
- Width129 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $31.07New
- AU $21.61New
- AU $43.96New
- AU $25.09New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.48Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $16.42
- AU $74.55Trending at AU $83.32
- AU $59.72Trending at AU $61.98
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $20.89
- AU $22.30Trending at AU $22.95
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.73
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.