Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.80Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionCricket on Everest starts with an idea over a pint of beer and ends with a world record at 5,165 metres above sea level. In 2009, 50 people from the UK, many of whom had never met until a year earlier, played the highest ever game of cricket on the slopes of the world's tallest mountain. The idea captured the imagination of people around the globe, making front page news in several countries; being followed by millions through daily TV news updates and raising more than GBP100k for charity. What people did t see, however, was what happened behind the scenes. The book details several near-misses that the organisers kept quiet - including securing permission to enter the National Park where Everest is situated just a day before the group were due to arrive. Friendships were pushed to the very limit and many people gave their all to organise a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The heartache from several people dropping out of the expedition was counteracted by the highs of taking part in such a unique and life-changing experience. Ultimately, this a story of 50 people going outside of their comfort zones to achieve something many thought impossible. It brought people and communities together, changed the lives of many and reminded everyone that adventure is accessible to anyone. Cricket on Everest will appeal to fans of sport and travel writing. Author Alan has been inspired by Harry Thompson's Penguins Stopped Play and Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air.
- Author BiographyAlan Curr started in sports travel, watching World Cups in Australia (Rugby, 2003) and the Caribbean (Cricket, 2007). In an attempt to fund his passion for sport and travel he did some freelance journalism for cricket and football publications before settling full-time into the adventure travel industry in 2010.
- Author(s)Alan Curr
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication01/07/2012
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationMarket Harborough
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine22 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.