All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn recent years, reality TV formats have proliferated on television. One of the most significant and controversial strands within this has been the growth of 'real crime TV'. Encapsulating everything from crime appeal shows to reconstruction programmes and actuality footage shows, real crime TV w plays a major role in our television schedules, filling countless hours of air-time every week. Crime Watching examines the spectacular growth of real crime TV. Of these programmes, the BBC's Crimewatch UK is Britain's best kwn (in small part due to the tragedy of presenter Jill Dando's death). The book argues that the birth of the BBC's Crimewatch UK in 1984 was a key transitional moment in the emergence, expansion and subsequent popularity of these programmes both in the UK and internationally. Looking closely at the social and political context of the period in which Crimewatch UK first appeared and examining the aesthetics, address and appeal of a range of other shows appearing in its wake, including Police Camera Action! , America's Most Wanted and World's Wildest Police Videos , this book investigates the conditions that have enabled and advanced the ubiquity of real crime programming on contemporary television and the anxieties that surround it. Examining critiques that real crime TV has increased fear of crime while legitimising a surveillance culture, and that it serves to stifle debate about criminality and policing, Crime Watching also reflects on the pleasures of these programmes and the enduring nature of our culture's seemingly endless fascination with real crime stories.
- Author BiographyDeborah Jermyn is Senior Lecturer in Film Studies, Digby Stuart College, University of Surrey Roehampton. She is the co-editor of 'The Audience Studies Reader' and 'Understanding Reality Television'.
- Author(s)Deborah Jermyn
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication27/10/2006
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight268 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.