All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this thought-provoking and informative work, Elizabeth Burney takes a critical look at the use of civil and administrative powers by social landlords as a means of preventing crime and disorder. The book ranges widely, with different chapters setting anxieties about: 'nuisance neighbours'; and anti-social behaviour in their social, historical, ecomic and political context. In particular the author argues that the agenda has been set by a few large Labour-led local authorities where serious management problems stem essentially from a very weak social housing market.The author warns that central and local government may be set on a path which will increase rather than reduce social exclusion - and she argues for more focus on supportive and reintegrative means of reducing bad behaviour. Crime and Banishment is a book which will be of interest to a wide range of people who are concerned about community safety, environmental pressures, the modern emphasis on 'exclusion' when dealing with political, ecomic or social issues - and some underlying causes of crime in Britain at the end of the twentieth century.
- Author BiographyElizabeth Burney is a Senior Research Associate at the Cambridge University Institute of Criminology. Her early career was as an urban affairs specialist on The Economist, when she also sat as a member of the Cullingworth Committee on council house allocation. She has researched and published extensively on race relations and on criminal justice - including books on the magistracy and on juvenile justice. She is a volunteer with Victim Support.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Burney
- PublisherWaterside Press
- Date of Publication31/10/1999
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationWinchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintWaterside Press
- Content Noteindex
- Width146 mm
- Height214 mm
- Spine14 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.