All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom video games that allow us to participate in Mafia-style violence, to newspaper reports about the latest terrorist atrocity, from detective vels that fill our bedside cabinets, to Hollywood's beloved legal dramas - the mass media is saturated with stories about crime, justice and disorder. Together they create a cultural landscape of crime that is distinctly at odds with reality, as crimilogists are apt to complain. Crime and the Media attempts to make sense of this cultural landscape and its relationship with broader social trends and public attitudes. Through focussed, critical discussions about crime in the media - taking on crime news and fictional representations of cops, courts, and corrections - the text equips students with an understanding of the key theoretical concepts and methodological tools that are required to undertake media analysis. With questions for discussion, exercises and workshop sessions, as well as techniques for analysing crime in a range of media formats, the book makes an invaluable contribution to crime and media courses, and to the social sciences in general.
- Author BiographySarah E.H. Moore is Senior Lecturer at the Centre for Criminology and Sociology at Royal Holloway, University of London, UK. She has published widely in international journals, including the British Journal of Criminology and Crime, Media, Culture. She is also the author of Ribbon Culture (2008) which won the BSA Philip Abrams Memorial Prize for Best First Sole-authored Book in Sociology.
- Author(s)Sarah E. H. Moore
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication17/04/2014
- SubjectThe Arts: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Noteillustrations (black and white)
- Weight638 g
- Width162 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.