All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe criminal justice system is wide ranging; from the crimes themselves and policing to the sentencing of offenders and prisons. In this Very Short Introduction Julian V. Roberts draws upon the latest research and current practices from a number of different countries around the world. Focusing on the adversarial model of justice found in common law countries such as the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia, he discusses topics such as the uses of imprisonment, the effects of capital punishment, and the purposes of sentencing. Considering the role of the victim throughout the criminal justice system, as well as public kwledge and attitudes towards criminal justice, Roberts critically assesses the way in which the system functions and its importance around the world. ABOUT THE SERIES: The Very Short Introductions series from Oxford University Press contains hundreds of titles in almost every subject area. These pocket-sized books are the perfect way to get ahead in a new subject quickly. Our expert authors combine facts, analysis, perspective, new ideas, and enthusiasm to make interesting and challenging topics highly readable.
- Author BiographyJulian V. Roberts is a Professor of Criminology in the Faculty of Law, University of Oxford. He is Associate Editor of the European Journal of Criminology and the Canadian Journal of Criminology. He has been a Visiting Professor at the Haifa Law School; School of Law, Kings College; the Institute of Criminology, University of Cambridge; the Centre of Criminology, University of Toronto; the School of Criminology, Catholic University of Leuven; the Department of Criminology, Universite Libre de Bruxelles; and the Department of Justice, Canada.
- Author(s)Julian V. Roberts
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication27/08/2015
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Series TitleVery Short Introductions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note8 black and white illustrations
- Weight126 g
- Width117 mm
- Height174 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.