All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe criminal justice system w serves as the chief provider of health care services to a significant portion of society. This includes the provision of physical and mental health care for offender populations who require substantial health care resources. To date, little is kwn or understood with regard to how these services and programs are being delivered. This book addresses the gaps in our kwledge by presenting a range of studies detailing the daily practices that occur in places where criminal justice and public health systems intersect. This includes an assessment of sheriff agency emergency communication systems, a study of problem behaviours and health using a juvenile sample, the challenge of treating mentally ill prison inmates with te of important gender differences, the impact of case management on justice systems, and a review of substance abuse cessation programs among pregnant women currently serving probation and parole sentences. Also included is a policy piece in which the authors call for an integrated model that is neither crimilogical r public health specific. These readings provide a range of empirical examples that highlight important successes and challenges facing the criminal justice and public health systems. They suggest that integration and partnerships represent the most efficacious means to reduce critical social problems such as violence, poor health, and criminality. This book was originally published as a special issue of Criminal Justice Studies.
- Author BiographyHayden Smith is an Associate Professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice at the University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA. His principal research focus is the intersection of the criminal justice and public health systems. This includes self-injurious behaviour by inmates, the mental health needs of correctional populations, jail diversion, national standards of care, and premature morbidity and mortality associated with re-entry.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication21/07/2015
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight430 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Edited byHayden R. Smith
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.