All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBecause of the emphasis placed on nfiction and informational texts by the Common Core State Standards, literature teachers all over the country are re-evaluating their curriculum and looking for thoughtful ways to incorporate nfiction into their courses. They are also rethinking their pedagogy as they consider ways to approach texts that are outside the usual fare of secondary literature classrooms. The Third Edition of Critical Encounters in Secondary English provides an integrated approach to incorporating nfiction and informational texts into the literature classroom. Grounded in solid theory with new field-tested classroom activities, this new edition shows teachers how to adapt practices that have always defined good pedagogy to the new generation of standards for literature instruction. New for the Third Edition:* A new preface and new introduction that discusses the CCSS and their implications for literature instruction.* Lists of nfiction texts at the end of each chapter related to the critical lens described in that chapter.* A new chapter on new historicism, a critical lens uniquely suited to interpreting nfiction and informational sources.* New classroom activities created and field-tested specifically for use with nfiction texts.* Additional activities that demonstrate how informational texts can be used in conjunction with traditional literary texts.
- Author BiographyDeborah Appleman is the Hollis L. Caswell Professor of educational studies at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota, USA.
- Author(s)Deborah Appleman
- PublisherTeachers' College Press
- Date of Publication12/12/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleLanguage and Literacy Series
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTeachers' College Press
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.78
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.