All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMichel Butor, one of the earliest exponents of the French New Novel, is kwn for experimenting with narrative voice (the second-person narration in La Modification ), focalization (the changes in narrative perspective in Degres), and the treatment of genres (L'Emploi du temps). L'Emploi du temps (1956) is a quintessential uveau roman for it is about a vel within a vel. In Critical Essays on Michel Butor's L'Emploi du temps , Sudarsan Rangarajan examines the different aspects of the vel from a postmodern perspective. Engaging contemporary theorists - Sartre, Foucault, de Man, and Prince among others - the essays encompass diverse areas: narratology, rhetoric, genre studies, existentialism, and postcolonialism. From the analysis of the beginnings and the function of narratees to the study of rhetoric, the journalistic discourse, the hybridization of the detective and the Gothic genres, the figure of the flaneur, and postcolonialist concepts (the elite and the subaltern), the essays provide new insights into one of the greatest twentieth-century vels.
- Author BiographySudarsan Rangarajan received his PhD in French from Florida State University. Currently he is Associate Professor of French and Coordinator of the French program at the University of Alaska Anchorage. His areas of interest include contemporary French and Quebecois literatures and critical theory. His articles have appeared in The French Review, Neophilologus, Symposium and Dalhousie French Studies.
- Author(s)Sudarsan Rangarajan
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication31/10/2012
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCurrents in Comparative Romance Languages & Literatures
- Series Part/Volume Number211
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight370 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $199.00Trending at AU $201.75
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $64.70Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $36.17Trending at AU $70.69
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.37
- AU $90.00Trending at AU $92.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.