All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection brings much-needed focus to the vibrancy and vitality of mirity and marginal writing about empire, and to their implications as expressions of embodied contact between imperial power and those negotiating its consequences from below. The chapters explore how less powerful and less privileged actors in metropolitan and colonial societies within the British Empire have made use of the written word and of the power of speech, public performance, and street politics. This book breaks new ground by combining work about marginalized figures from within Britain as well as counterparts in the colonies, ranging from published sources such as indigeus newspapers to ordinary and everyday writings including diaries, letters, petitions, ballads, suicide tes, and more. Each chapter engages with the methodological implications of working with everyday scribblings and asks what these alternate modernities and histories mean for the larger critique of the imperial archive that has shaped much of the most interesting writing on empire in the past decade.
- Author BiographyFiona Paisley is a cultural historian at Griffith University, Brisbane, and a member of the Australian Historical Association. Kirsty Reid is a senior researcher in the Centre for History at the University of the Highlands and Islands, Scotland and a fellow of the Royal Historical Society.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Cultural History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white halftones
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byFiona Paisley,Kirsty Reid
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.