Critique of Intelligent Design: Materialism Versus Creationism from Antiquity to the Present by Richard York, John Bellamy Foster, Brett W. Clark (Paperback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.33Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $15.62Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA critique of religious dogma historically provides the basis for rational inquiry into the physical and social world. Critique of Intelligent Design is a key to understanding the forces of irrationalism that seek to undermine the natural and social sciences. This book illuminates the historical evolution of the materialist critique - that is, explaining the world in terms of itself - from antiquity to the present through engaging the work of Plato, Aristotle, Epicurus, Lucretius, Francis Bacon, Isaac Newton, David Hume, Charles Darwin, Karl Marx, Sigmund Freud, and Stephen Jay Gould, among others.Proponents of intelligent design - creationism in its contemporary guise - have reignited an age-old war in which they claim to elevate their doctrine to empirical truth and thus incorporate it into science curricula. They attack the modern scientific view elevating both a pseudo-scientific and -cultural renewal in line with their theological orientation and what they perceive as a kwable moral order. Critique of Intelligent Design is a compelling account of the debate between materialism and religion as well as an overview of the contemporary fight concerning nature, science, history, morality, and kwledge. The authors demonstrate how historical materialism is a crucial social foundation from which to confront intelligent design. They provide a fascinating account of the development of science in opposition to the proponents of received wisdom. Critique of Intelligent Design offers empowering tools to understand and defend critical and scientific reasoning.
- Author BiographyJOHN BELLAMY FOSTER is editor of Monthly Review. He is Professor of Sociology at the University of Oregon and author of Naked Imperialism, Ecology Against Capitalism, Marx's Ecology, and The Vulnerable Planet. He is co-editor of Pox Americana, Hungry for Profit, Capitalism and the Information Age, and In Defense of History. BRETT CLARK received his Ph.D. in Sociology from the University of Oregon. RICHARD YORK is Associate Professor of Sociology at the University of Oregon. He is co-editor of the journal Organization & Environment.
- Author(s)Brett W. Clark,John Bellamy Foster,Richard York
- PublisherMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/08/2008
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMonthly Review Press,U.S.
- Weight272 g
- Width137 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $191.05New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $39.00Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.