All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFood security and environmental conservation are two of the greatest challenges facing the world today. It is predicted that food production must increase by at least 70% before 2050 to support continued population growth, though the size of the world's agricultural area will remain essentially unchanged. This updated and thoroughly revised second edition provides in-depth coverage of the impact of environmental conditions and management on crops, resource requirements for productivity and effects on soil resources. The approach is explanatory and integrative, with a firm basis in environmental physics, soils, physiology and morphology. System concepts are explored in detail throughout the book, giving emphasis to quantitative approaches, management strategies and tactics employed by farmers, and associated environmental issues. Drawing on key examples and highlighting the role of science, techlogy and ecomic conditions in determining management strategies, this book is suitable for agriculturalists, ecologists and environmental scientists.
- Author BiographyD. J. Connor is Emeritus Professor of Agriculture at the University of Melbourne. His research programs deal with land and environmental relationships of a range of irrigated and rain fed cropping systems. In 2003 he was awarded the Donald Medal for outstanding contributions by the Australian Society of Agronomy. R. S. Loomis is Emeritus Professor in the Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences at the University of California, Davis. His research interests include photosynthetic productivity, nutrient and water management, and integrated simulation models. K. G. Cassman is Professor of Agronomy at the University of Nebraska. His research focuses on nutrient cycling and crop nutrient requirements, crop yield potential and water productivity of irrigated crops. In 2006 he received the Agronomic Research Award from the American Society of Agronomy.
- Author(s)David J. Connor,Kenneth G. Cassman,Robert S. Loomis
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/04/2011
- SubjectAgriculture & Farming
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note169 b/w illus. 66 tables
- Weight910 g
- Width174 mm
- Height247 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.