All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis title explores the application of a selected number of newly emerging methods and techniques.During the past few decades, Caribbean scholars on both sides of the Atlantic have increasingly developed and employed new methods and techniques for the study of archaeological materials. The aim of earlier research in the Caribbean was mainly to define typologies on the basis of pottery and lithic assemblages leading to the establishment of chrological charts for the region, and it was t until the 1980s that the use of techlogical and functional analyses of artifacts became widespread. The 1990s saw a veritable boom in this field, introducing invative methods and techniques for analyzing artifacts and human skeletal remains. Invative approaches included microscopic use-wear analysis, starch residue and phytolith analysis, stable isotope analysis, experimental research, etharchaeological studies, geochemical analyses, and DNA studies.The purpose of this volume is to describe these new methods and techniques in the study of archaeological materials from the Caribbean and to assess possible avenues of mutual benefit and integration. Each of these approaches is illustrated by a case study. These studies benefited from a diverse array of experience and the international background of the researchers from Canada, the Netherlands, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Martinique, Italy, Mexico, Dominican Republic, England, and the United States.
- Author BiographyCorinne L. Hofman, Menno L. P. Hoogland, and Annelou L. van Gijn, are all on the Faculty of Archaeology, Leiden University, The Netherlands.
- PublisherThe University of Alabama Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2008
- Series TitleCaribbean Archaeology and Ethnohistory Series
- Place of PublicationAlabama
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Alabama Press
- Content Note59 illustrations
- Weight531 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAnnelou L. van Gijn,Corinne L. Hofman,Menno L.P. Hoogland
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.