All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection creates a picture of society in Cuba that is fully engaged in the exchange of international cultural currents. Though scholars, policymakers, the public, and the media often portray the nation as suspended outside space and time, the authors argue that the island is insular merely in physical geography and that its influence on global actors and forces in the 21st century is complex and significant. The myth of isolation has served as an excuse for political actions on both sides of the Florida Straits. But transnational rms, capital, identities, and mass culture have t stopped short of Cuban shores. These articles, based on grassroots fieldwork in Cuba as well as in Little Havana (Miami), South Miami Beach, and other locations, demonstrate patterns of connections that challenge the standard discourse on Cuban distinctiveness. The authors expand the dimensions of the study of Cuba's international relationships by including aspects of life that are t solely the consequence of state action, conceptualizing transnationalism as an exchange across borders by nstate actors, individuals, organizations, and networks. While addressing the subject of migration - including immigration to the United States in the century before Castro - they also examine social and cultural encounters in areas such as music, tourism, gay life, religion, and literature.
- Author BiographyDamian J. Fernandez, professor of international relations and director of the Cuban Research Institute at Florida International University in Miami, is the coeditor of Cuba, The Elusive Nation: Interpretations of National Identity (UPF).
- Author(s)Damian J. Fernandez
- PublisherUniversity Press of Florida
- Date of Publication31/10/2005
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationFlorida
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of Florida
- Content Note12 tables, 2 charts, notes, references, index
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.