All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPeter C. Bjarkman has traveled to all corners of Cuba covering baseball, from their early Olympic baseball triumphs to the recent domestic ecomic crises that have spurred an increasing number of Cuban stars to abandon their homeland. Having enjoyed rare access and personally kwing most of the top Cuban stars, Bjarkman reveals the complete story behind the Cuban big league phemen, and answers numerous questions lurking behind one of the biggest sports stories of the past decades. He explains precisely how Cuba has managed to generate such remarkable baseball talent, how until recently they have kept most of their talent at home, and why Cuban government and sports officials are so adamant about rejecting open transfers with major league ball clubs. He reveals the personal histories of some of the highest-profile stars among recent Cuban imports and explains unfolding events that have led them to eventually choose defection from their homeland. In the process, Bjarkman explores the personal risks that many have taken to achieve their North American baseball dreams.
- Author BiographyPeter C. Bjarkman is the senior writer for www.BaseballdeCuba.com, the leading source in Spanish and English for current Cuban League and Cuban national team coverage. He is the author of A History of Cuban Baseball, 1864-2006 (2007) and coauthor of Smoke, the Romance and Lore of Cuban Baseball (1999, with Mark Rucker). Bjarkman has made numerous media appearances as an expert on Cuban baseball, including a featured role as Anthony Bourdain's guide to island baseball on the 2011 Travel Channel episode No Reservations Cuba. He appears as a featured head on ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary, Brothers in Exile and has appeared several times on the popular ESPN feature Outside the Lines.
- Author(s)Peter C. Bjarkman
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication12/05/2016
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Content Note22 black & white halftones, 4 tables
- Weight721 g
- Width166 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.