Cultivating High-Quality Teaching Through Induction and Mentoring: How to Train and Retain New Teachers by Carol A. Bartell (Paperback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $52.62Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.44+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe research shows that induction and mentoring programs are effective. While many schools have instituted induction and/or mentoring programmes, we kw little about what actually works in these types of programmes. Carol A Bartell bridges the gap between kwledge and practice with this book. Through her extensive research on induction and mentoring programs, she has identified the elements of successful programmes. Induction programmes are systematic, organized plans for the support and development of new teachers in the initial 1-3 years of service. Because teachers begin with different levels of preparation, the author addresses how to differentiate programmes to meet differing needs, from teachers who have completed a traditional university programme to those who have entered teaching through alternative certification.It also looks at how various school environments (urban, suburban, and rural) affect the first three years of teaching. Rather than focusing on survival skills, this book emphasizes high-quality teaching through the use of standards-based teaching, teacher assessments, and reflective practice. The book also contains a special emphasis on under-prepared teachers and urban schools, those most in need of effective induction and mentoring and also the group that benefits the most from these types of programmes.
- Author BiographyCarol A. Bartell has been interested in teacher induction since 1988, when she first became involved with what was then the California New Teacher Project, a pilot project with fifteen districts in California. Her role was first as a faculty member at the University of Pacific in Stockton, and shortly after as a staff member at the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, and finally, as a member of the Commission representing the independent California Colleges and Universities in her role as Dean of the School of Education at California Lutheran University. Her interest in assisting teachers in urban schools led her to accept, beginning in the fall of 2003, the position of Dean of the Charter College of Education at California State University, Los Angeles. Dr. Bartell has worked on a number of efforts related to teacher induc-tion. She served as project officer for the evaluation of the California induc-tion programs, led the initial state task force that developed the California Standards for the Teaching Profession, and led the development of the peer review process for the Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment Program. She has served on a number of national task forces and Commissions related to induction, including the National Commission on Professional Development and Support of Novice Teachers sponsored by the Association of Teacher Educators and Kappa Delta Pi, and the Interstate New Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (INTASC). Before Dr. Bartell entered the state policy and the higher education arena, she was a teacher. Her P-12 teaching career spans eleven years in five different states in urban, rural, and suburban settings. She remembers what it was like to begin anew as a novice in a different teaching context. She still enjoys getting into the classroom, when her schedule permits, to work with university students preparing for that very important work in schools.
- Author(s)Carol A. Bartell
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication29/09/2004
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCorwin Press Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight376 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.