All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionEthnic mirities form a very substantial proportion of the population of China, with over 100 million people in 55 formally designated mirity groups inhabiting over 60% of the country's land area. Poverty and ecomic inequality of mirity groups are widely-recognised problems. However, as this book, based on extensive original research, shows, underlying ecomic inequality are educational inequality and cultural exclusion, which in turn lead to problems of social mobility and thereby to poverty. The book examines in particular Tibetan, Muslim Hui, Salar and Bonan people. It discusses the policy and practice of education for ethnic mirities, the prevailing chauvinistic Chinese national culture, from which mirities feel excluded, and the attitudes of both majority Han Chinese towards mirities, and of mirities towards their position of cultural exclusion. Besides exploring the forms of cultural exclusion experienced by ethnic mirities, it considers what might be done to promote inclusion, proposing a rethinking of the project of nation building and modernisation of state and mirity rights in order to achieve the goal of including the mirity population of distinctive cultures into wider society.
- Author BiographyLin Yi is Associate Professor of Sociology at Xiamen University. His current research focuses upon culture, inequality and boundaries, with particular reference to class, ethnicity and globalization. Lin's articles have appeared in such journals as China Quarterly and Japanese Journal of Political Science.
- Author(s)Lin Yi
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication20/06/2008
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleComparative Development and Policy in Asia
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 10 black & white tables, 2 black & white halftones
- Weight430 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.