Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $56.40Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by buyitnowbooksoz2010
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat is, or are, Cultural Studies? In this outstanding critical and historical account, Fred Inglis, strips away the philosophical incoherence of Cultural Studies to reveal a common focus within the protean subject--matter and complex history of the field. Inglis begins with a concise, ambitious review of the historical circumstances which made Cultural Studies both necessary and possible in the inter--war years. He then charts the development of the field from its often contradictory origins (in Cambridge, England, and Frankfurt, Germany through its encounter with Marxism. French structuralism and linguistic philosophy, to contemporary anthropology. Focusing on the study of the value as the defining content of Cultural Studies, Inglis illuminates the work of such key figures as F. R. Leavis, Raymond Williams, Stuart Hall, Theodore Ador, Antonio Gramsci and Clifford Geertz. Balancing the claims of the Grand Theory against the charms of local kwledge, Inglis charts a fascinating course through the theories and methods of Cultural Studies as it seeks to refashion the traditional academic disciplines of the Humanities and Social Sciences. Ending with a chapter on How to do Cultural Studies , this book provides a much needed critical introduction to an exciting new field of inquiry. Sympathetic but n--partisan in approach, and refreshingly clear in its framework, Cultural Studies should be welcomed by students and teachers alike.
- Author BiographyFred Inglis is Professor of Cultural Studies at the University of Warwick, UK. He has also been a member of the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton University, USA. His previous books include Media Theory (Blackwell, 1990) and The Cruel Peace?
- Author(s)Fred Inglis
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication18/11/1993
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight432 g
- Width156 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $41.34
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.