All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.06Trending at AU $45.25
About this product
- DescriptionCulturally Relevant Teaching centers hip-hop culture as a culturally relevant form of critical pedagogy in urban pre-service teacher education programs. In this important book, Darius D. Prier explores how hip-hop artists construct a sense of democratic education and pedagogy with transformative possibilities in their schools and communities. In a postmodern context, students' critical street narratives challenge educators to rethink where public education can happen, and the political and empowering purposes to which Black popular culture can serve social justice ends for youth in urban education. This book provides educational leaders in the academy and public schools with new cultural contexts that connect teaching and learning with music and popular culture in relation to race, class, gender, culture, and community.
- Author BiographyDarius D. Prier is an assistant professor in the Department of Educational Foundations and Leadership in the School of Education at Duquesne University. He received his PhD in educational leadership from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. His recent work includes contributions to the International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education; Encounter: Education for Meaning and Social Justice; Youth Culture, Education and Resistance: Subverting the Commercial Ordering of Life (Porfilio & Carr, Eds.) and Hip-Hop(e): The Cultural Practice and Critical Pedagogy of International Hip-Hop (Porfilio & Viola, Eds.) (in press) with Peter Lang.
- Author(s)Darius D. Prier
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/01/2012
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleCounterpoints
- Series Part/Volume Number396
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight510 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.