All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe term a culture industrya has been a key reference point in the critical literature on culture and the media ever since the classic chapter in Horkheimer and Adora s Dialectic of Enlightenment, yet until w there has been little attempt to update the analysis for the present day. In this invative new book, Heinz Steinert applies the concept of culture industry to contemporary cultural forms and demonstrates its relevance for the twenty--first century. Unravelling Horkheimer and Adora s complex prose, Steinert sets out to explain precisely what is meant by the term a culture industrya . Writing in a clear and engaging style, he provides an accessible exposition of the key themes and concepts. This close textual analysis is combined with wide--ranging case studies showing how the concept of culture industry can be used to approach more recent cultural phemena. Examining contemporary film, pop music and art, as well as dating agencies and the paparazzi, Steinert reveals the ways in which culture is commodified today. This is an original book that provides a fresh critical perspective on culture and the media. It will be essential reading for students of media and cultural studies, sociology and of the humanities in general.
- Author BiographyHeinz Steinert is Professor of Sociology at the Johann--Wolfgang--Goethe University, Frankfurt and Foundation Director of the Institute for the Sociology of Law and Criminology, Vienna.
- Author(s)Heinz Steinert
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication06/01/2003
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content Note0
- Weight452 g
- Width159 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Translated bySally-Ann Spencer
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.