All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJamaica is kwn widely for its beautiful beaches and the reggae music scene, but there is much more to this Caribbean country. Culture and Customs of Jamaica richly surveys the fuller wealth of the Caribbean nation, focusing on its people, history, religion, education, language, social customs, media and cinema, literature, music, and performing and visual arts. Jamaican Creole and the education system, which are t often discussed in volumes aimed at a general audience, are also examined here. Students and other interested readers will witness the unveiling of this complicated and unique country within this volume. Indispensable for the its insights on the making of modern Jamaica. Written by Jamaicans the island receives needed attention in this work. The history of Jamaica is well covered, from pre-Colombian times through slavery, to the impact of social activist Marcus Garvey, and the relatively new state of independence. Rastfarianism to Revivalism are covered as Jamaica's multitude of religious deminations is outlined. Various topics such as geography, demography, climate, cuisine, and the visual and performing arts are detailed. Accompanied by a chrology, this magical country comes to life in this wide-ranging volume. Anyone with an interest in Jamaica and its culture and customs will be indebted to the authors for their timely presentation. Students and general readers will find this volume indispensable.
- Author BiographyMARTIN MORDECAI is a former Jamaican career diplomat and civil servant, now resident in Toronto as a freelance writer and photographer, and businessman./e PAMELA MORDECAI, is an independent scholar and poet who has written over a dozen books in language arts for high school students and has edited anthologies of Caribbean literature./e She is publisher of Sandberry Press, a small press devoted to Caribbean literary publishing, which operates out of Kingston Jamaica and Toronto, Canada.
- Author(s)Martin Mordecai,Pamela Mordecai
- Date of Publication30/11/2000
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleCultures and Customs of the World
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Note1, black & white illustrations
- Weight348 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $6.15New
- AU $22.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.44New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.03
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $49.31Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.