All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThere is a common view among many ecomists that one model is capable of explaining a specific type of behaviour in all cultural environments. It is only necessary to make appropriate adjustments to bring the model in line with prevailing cultural conditions. This book argues that such an approach can lead to error, in particular to incorrect explanation and understanding of the phemen in question, and therefore may result in inappropriate policy recommendations. Katzner's fascinating book compares the two cultures of Japan and USA and provides insights into the ecomic workings and differences between the two nations. He shows that an understanding of the culture of a country is essential to the development of appropriate models of ecomic behaviour of ecomic agents in that country, and that the failure to understand cultural differences weakens the predictive (and prescriptive) power of ecomic models. The argument is made in a collection of essays supporting the following: (a) Thought processes are heavily dependent on cultural environments and (b) Because cultures vary widely from society to society, to explain ecomic behaviour in one society may require a model with a completely different structure from that in ather. The book applies this argument to elucidate certain features of ecomic theorizing and to explain the so-called Japanese ecomic miracle.
- Author BiographyDonald W. Katzner is Professor of Economics at the University of Massachusetts / Amherst, USA.
- Author(s)Donald W. Katzner
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/11/2009
- SubjectBusiness, Accounting & Vocational: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, 3 black & white tables, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight294 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $61.76
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.40
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $52.72
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.