All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Bennett provides a well organized, very readable and interesting discussion of a number of significant everyday cultural forms and I am confident student readers will find the book very valuable' - Barry Smart, University of Portsmouth Culture and Everyday Life provides students with a comprehensive overview of theoretical models, issues and examples of contemporary cultural practice. Bennett begins by summarising and situating - in everyday settings - the key theoretical models applied in the study of existing cultural practices. This entails a systematic study of how academic thinking about mass culture has changed, from critical accounts of early mass cultural theorists to radical postmodernist critiques of mass cultural accounts and to 'the cultural turn', which explored how various social identities are culturally constructed. Following this are themed chapters that cover a particular aspect of late modern culture, such as media, music, fashion, tourism and counter-cultural ideologies and movements. In each case a comprehensive literature review is provided and its theoretical and empirical relevance to our understanding of the relationship between culture and everyday life in contemporary society is explained. Lucid, meticulous and illustrated with a host of examples, this is a superb text for teaching and research in the Sociology of Culture and Cultural Studies.
- Author BiographyAndy Bennett is Professor of Cultural Sociology and Director of the Griffith Centre for Cultural Research at Griffith University, Queensland, Australia. He has authored and edited numerous books including Popular Music and Youth Culture (Palgrave Macmillian, 2000), Cultures of Popular Music (Open University Press, 2001), Remembering Woodstock (Ashgate, 2004), Music Scenes (Vanderbilt University Press, 2004) with Richard A. Peterson and Music, Style and Aging (Berg, 2012) with Paul Hodgkinson. Bennett was lead Chief Investigator on a three-year, five-country project funded by the Australian Research Council entitled Popular Music and Cultural Memory (DP1092910). He is also a Faculty Fellow of the Center for Cultural Sociology at Yale University.
- Author(s)Andy Bennett
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication21/07/2005
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Weight630 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.