All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRichard Wilkins and Karen Wolf present an invative look at the relationship between rhetoric and the ethgraphy of communication. They argue that a situated rhetoric extends beyond the study of public discourse to include moments of identification that are used in a situated, social, and cultural way. The main problem the book addresses is the idea that individuals use situated rhetoric to accomplish communal identification, even at the risk of multiple interpretations from others. Culture in Rhetoric draws on case studies exploring argumentation through speaking and silence over the use of Native American land; asynchrous communication active in the cultural frames of a CBS 60 Minutes episode; identity and communication at a Jewish havurah; optimal forms of communicative conduct in Britain; and the changes in education communication of a North American college. Wilkins and Wolf present the position that the context, form, and meaning of these situated instances of rhetoric provide a foundation upon which to analyze the communicative constructions of cultural identity.
- Author BiographyRichard Wilkins, PhD, is Associate Professor of Communication Studies at Baruch College, City University of New York. He is the lead editor of Speech Culture in Finland and is published widely in journals of communication. Karen Wolf, PhD, is Professor of Communication at Suffolk County Community College, State University of New York. Her work has been published in a variety of communication journals including Empedocles: European Journal for the Philosophy of Communication and the International and Intercultural Communication Annual.
- Author(s)Karen Wolf,Richard Wilkins
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication05/12/2013
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleLanguage as Social Action
- Series Part/Volume Number19
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight350 g
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.