All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCurrency values, prices, consumption and incomes are at the heart of the ecomic performance of all countries. In order to make a meaningful comparison between one ecomy and ather, ecomists routinely make use of purchasing power parity (PPP) exchange rates, but while PPP rates are widely used and well understood, they take a lot of effort to produce and suffer from publication delays. Currencies, Commodities and Consumption analyses the strengths and weaknesses of two alternatives to PPP. Firstly, the so-called Big Mac Index, which uses hamburger prices as a standard of measurement, and second, a less well kwn technique which infers incomes across countries based on the proportion of consumption devoted to food. Kenneth W. Clements uses international macroecomics, microecomic theory and ecometrics to provide researchers and policy makers with insights into alternatives to PPP rates and make sense of the ongoing instability of exchange rates and commodity prices.
- Author BiographyKenneth W. Clements has been at the University of Western Australia since 1981 as Winthrop Professor of Economics and since 2008, BHP Billiton Research Fellow at the UWA Business School. In 2009, his book (co-authored with X. Zhao) Economics and Marijuana was published by Cambridge University Press. He is a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia and in 2009 received from the Australian Learning and Teaching Council a Citation for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning.
- Author(s)Kenneth W. Clements
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication14/01/2016
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note52 b/w illus. 69 tables
- Weight530 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.