All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Second Edition of Curriculum Theory: Conflicting Visions and Enduring Concerns presents a clear, unbiased, and rigorous description of the major curriculum philosophies that have influenced educators and schooling over the last century. Author Michael Stephen Schiro analyzes four educational visions: Scholar Academic, Social Efficiency, Learner Centered, and Social Reconstructionuto enable readers to reflect on their own educational beliefs and more productively interact with educators who might hold different beliefs. New to the Second Edition: Additional historical material on the Scholar Academic ideology is added in Chapter 2. In Chapter 2, the section on teaching was reorganized and a new subsection is added on Teachers as Transmitters, Mediators, or Translators. Several new sections are added to Chapter 4 on the Learner Centered ideology: The major section provides a description and analysis of a Learner Centered curriculum. Others include things such as a discussion the relation between kwledge and experience, and the nature and structure of the learning environment of the ideology. Several sections of Chapter 4 have been reorganized under new headings to add clarity to the chapter. Seven new sections have been added to Chapter 6: Six of these sections are plays in which four teachers discuss their beliefs about enduring curricular issues and related current hot curriculum topics, in ways that highlight the differences between the ideologies. An additional section in Chapter 6 discusses differences in how each of the ideologies takes advantage of the use of techlogy in curriculum and during instruction.
- Author BiographyMichael Stephen Schiro has taught at the elementary, middle, and high school levels. He received his bachelorate from Tufts University and his doctorate from Harvard University. In the 1960's he worked for school desegregation n North Carolina. In the 1970's he worked to improve urban education in Lowell, Massachusetts. He was chair of the Department of Teacher Education and School Administration at Boston College in the 1980's. He specializes in mathematics education and curriculum theory, and taught courses in mathematics education, curriculum theory, computer education, literacy, and multicultural education at Boston College from 1974 to 2009, when he retired. He published eleven books with such diverse titles as Integrating Children's Literature and Mathematics in the Classroom, Oral Story Telling and Teaching Mathematics, Mega-Fun Math Games, Curriculum for Better Schools: The Great Ideological Debate, and Tan and the Shape Changer.
- Author(s)Michael Stephen Schiro
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication13/06/2012
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width187 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $67.92Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $42.49
- AU $18.56Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.95Trending at AU $53.03
- AU $22.59Trending at AU $27.63
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.