All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally published in 1989, this ground-breaking ethgraphic exploration of tattooing-and the art world surrounding it-covers the history, anthropology and sociology of body modification practices; the occupational experience of the tattooist; the process and social consequences of becoming a tattooed person; and the prospects of \u0022serious\u0022 tattooing becoming an accepted art form. Curiously, despite the greater prevalence of tattoos and body modification in today\u2019s society, there is still a stigma of deviance associated with people who get or ink tattoos. Retaining the core of the original book, this revised and expanded edition offers a new preface by the author and a new chapter focusing on the changes that have occurred in the tattoo world. A section on the new scholarly literature that has emerged, as well as the new modes of body modification that have come into vogue are included along with a new gallery of photographs that shows some splendid examples of contemporary tattoo art. A directory of artists' websites invites readers to discover the range of work being done around the world-from \u201csuits\u201d (full body tattoos) to skulls.
- Author BiographyClinton R. Sanders is a Professor in the Sociology Department at the University of Connecticut. His most recent book isUnderstanding Dogs: Living and Working with Canine Companions (Temple), which received the Charles Horton Cooley Award given by the Society for the Study of Symbolic Interaction. D. Angus Vail is Associate Professor of Sociology at Willamette University in Salem, OR. He is also co-editor (with Erich Goode) of Extreme Deviance.
- Author(s)Clinton Sanders,D. Angus Vail
- PublisherTemple University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication19/03/2007
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationPhiladelphia PA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTemple University Press,U.S.
- Content Note5 line art, 12 b&w illustrations
- Weight331 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5346 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.