D'Hancarville. The Complete Collection of Antiquities from the Cabinet of Sir William Hamilton by Sebastian Schutze, Madeleine Gisler-Huwiler (Hardback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $32.31Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $59.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAntiquarian, archaeologist, vulcalogist, and envoy to the British Embassy in Naples, Sir William Hamilton (1731-1803) was a leading European figure of his time. Though the romance between his wife Lady Emma Hamilton and Horatio Nelson tends to eclipse Sir William's own activities, his work as a scientist and a classicist made major contributions to the study of Pompei, Herculaneum, and Mt Vesuvius. As an expert in ancient art, Hamilton also built up an invaluable collection of ancient Greek vases, subsequently sold to the British Museum in London in 1772. Before the pieces were shipped off to England, Hamilton commissioned Pierre-Francois Hugues d'Hancarville, an adventurous conisseur and art dealer, to document the vases in words and images. The resulting catalog, published in four volumes and kwn as Les Antiquites d'HancarvilIe, represents a neoclassical masterpiece. Never before had ancient vases been represented with such meticulous detail and sublime beauty. With this reprint, TASCHEN revives d'Hancarville's masterful catalog for a contemporary audience, reproducing in exacting detail the same pristine images that sparked Europe's love affair with the classical style.
- Author BiographyMadeleine Gisler-Huwiler studied classical archaeology, ancient history, and old Egyptian at Fribourg University. She has collaborated on various excavations and exhibitions and is presently writing a catalogue of the first Hamilton collection of vases for the British Museum. Sebastian Schutze was a longtime research fellow at the Bibliotheca Hertziana (Max Planck Institute for Art History) in Rome. He is a member of the academic board of the Istituto Italiano per gli Studi Filosofici in Naples, and a corresponding member of the Osterreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften. From 2003 to 2009 he held the Bader Chair in Southern Baroque Art at Queen's University in Kingston. In 2009 he was appointed Professor of Early Modern Art History at Vienna University.
- Author(s)Madeleine Gisler-Huwiler,Sebastian Schutze
- PublisherTaschen GmbH
- Date of Publication10/06/2015
- LanguageEnglish, French & German
- Place of PublicationCologne
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintTaschen GmbH
- Weight1315 g
- Width140 mm
- Height195 mm
- Spine51 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.