Da Nang Diary: A Forward Air Controller's Gunsight View of Combat in Vietnam by Tom Yarborough (Hardback, 2013)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $36.72Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by fishpondnewzealand
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $42.84+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally published in 1991, this classic work has w been revised and updated with additional photos, many of them in colour. It is the story of how, in Vietnam, an elite group of Air Force pilots fought a secret air war in Cessna 0-2 and OV-10 Bronco prop planes-flying as low as they could get. The eyes and ears of the fast-moving jets who rained death and destruction down on enemy positions, the Forward Air Controller made an art form out of an air strike-kwing the targets, kwing where friendly troops were, and reacting with split-second, life and death decisions as a battle unfolded. The expertise of the low, slow FACs, as well as the hazard attendant to their role, made for a unique birds-eye perspective on how the entire war in Vietnam unfolded. For Tom Yarborough, who logged 1,500 hours of combat flying time, the risk was constant, intense and electrifying. A member of the super-secret Prairie Fire unit, Yarborough became one of the most frequently shot-up pilots flying out of Da Nang-engaging in a series of dangerous secret missions in Laos. In this work, the reader flies in the cockpit alongside Yarborough in his adrenaline-pumping chronicle of heroism, danger and wartime brotherhood. From the rescuing of downed pilots to taking out enemy positions, to the most harrowing extended missions directly overhead of the NVA, here is the dedication, courage and skill of the fliers who took the war into the enemy's backyard.
- Author BiographyColonel Tom Yarborough, USAF (ret.) served in the Air Force for thirty years in a variety of flying and staff assignments. A command pilot, during his two Vietnam tours as a forward air controller, he earned thirty combat decorations, including the Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, Air Medal, and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. He currently lives in Springfield, Virginia, where he maintains ties to the academic community as an adjunct history professor at Northern Virginia Community College.
- Author(s)Tom Yarborough
- PublisherCasemate Books
- Date of Publication27/12/2013
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationHavertown
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCasemate Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight748 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best Selling in Non-Fiction Books
The 8-Week Blood Sugar Diet: Lose Weight Fast and Reprogramme Your Body for Life by Michael Mosley (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $18.62New
- AU $7.82Used
- AU $21.30New
- AU $24.96New
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: Be a Happy Non-smoker for the Rest of Your Life by Allen Carr (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $24.92New
- AU $11.61Used
- AU $32.17New
- AU $20.04New
- AU $20.03New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.84Trending at AU $78.53
- AU $21.96Trending at AU $22.75
- AU $31.07Trending at AU $31.93
- AU $79.24Trending at AU $90.07
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $50.54
- AU $19.74Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $41.88Trending at AU $42.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.