All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.34Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionDamn Lucky is the remarkable true story of a young man who left his native Sweden to fight with the armed resistance during Uganda's 'war in the bush'. Against the fragile backdrop of war's brutal theatre he found brotherhood, a sense of purpose and belonging and - in the most unlikely of places - true love. In 1982, aged 17, Valder Larka moved with his family to Nairobi, Kenya. Keen to explore the world outside the affluent suburbs, his curiosity led him to a bar in the slums where he learned of the conflict, upheaval and years of terror that had forced so many Ugandans into exile. Valder's empathy for those standing their ground against oppression invoked the warrior spirit he had inherited from his Viking ancestors, and with it the desire to fight for what was righteous. For the next two years Valder helped the exiles as best he could, assisting in ways that were seldom legal and often risky. After a brief return to Sweden, Valder came back to Nairobi determined to join Uganda's armed resistance. He soon found himself in the midst of a brutal war, barely surviving a horrific attack on a village. Rescued by Jonathan, the commander of a guerilla unit, and nursed back to health by his beautiful niece, Sambana, Valder convinced the unit to let him stay and fight alongside them. Valder quickly learned that war's path is unpredictable and its character ugly. An unforeseen chain of events set in motion a catastrophe that tore Valder's world - and heart - apart. But from the ashes of war, love can offer redemption and peace can begin to heal...Wisdom Should Come to the Ones Who Survive.
- Author BiographyA born adventurer, Valder Larka was roaming the woods and forests of Sweden's wilderness from an early age. There he discovered an inherent link and a deep affinity with nature. Not so many years later he discovered another link which took him into the midst of a peoples' struggle for freedom from oppression and tyranny.
- Author(s)Valder Larka
- PublisherHay House UK Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2011
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHay House UK Ltd
- Out-of-print date14/01/2016
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight394 g
- Width154 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.