All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.26
About this product
- DescriptionDan Cruickshank's personal, passionate and learned journey into the very awe-inspiring architectural icons which have transformed culture, society, industry and landscapes throughout the world - bridges. Bridges define places. Imagine San Francisco without the Golden Gate Bridge, Manhattan without the Brooklyn Bridge, or Sydney without Sydney Harbour Bridge. Not only this, but they are spectacles of engineering, and have influenced the development of cultures, ecomies, environments and lives in more ways than we can count. Now, Dan Cruickshank looks at what bridges mean to us, and draws on some of his personal favourites from all over the world to tell the story of their architectural, cultural and aesthetic influence. Chapters include: EMPIRE - Bridges from the Roman and ancient world NATURE AGAINST NATURE -Timber bridges REVOLUTION - Pioneering structural designs from North America and Europe UNITING PEOPLE - Bringing nations, cities, and communities together VISIONS - Contemporary structures
- Author BiographyLeading expert on architecture and historic buildings and BBC presenter, best known for Around The World In 80 Treasures and Adventures In Architecture. He has travelled extensively, and is an Honorary Fellow of RIBA with a BA in Art, Design and Architecture. He is currently filming a new BBC documentary celebrating 250 years of Kew Gardens.
- Author(s)Dan Cruickshank
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication28/10/2010
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note(colour photos throughout)
- Weight1270 g
- Width176 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine33 mm
Most relevant reviews
- bluebigfella11 Aug, 2012by
Great book giving a history of one of man's most used inventions across the world. Gives you insight into how bridges are designed, built and used.
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.