All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionShelia King, a fun-loving grandma's girl, needs to keep her days open for auditions in the hope of landing a role that will catapult her to stardom. With the threat of eviction looming, she scrambles to find a night job and convinces the owner of a hostess club to hire her. Now she's a dance-partner-for-hire by night and struggling thespian by day. When her agent pitches a topless role, fearing her grandmother's disapproval, Shelia declines. But after setbacks and considerable thought, she agrees to meet the producer. Gregory Livingston III is rich, suave, ridiculously fine, and the panacea for Shelia's career woes. At first sight she shapes plans to win the role and his heart. She gets both and works hard to give an Oscar worthy performance. However, when the movie wraps, thing can prepare her for the startling revelations about Greg's past and the aftermath of a dream gone awry.
- Author BiographyAn author and playwright, Alretha Thomas is making her name through her pen. Award winning plays and wanting to help her community, Alretha's background is as diverse as her personality. She started at the age of ten, when her 5th grade teacher picked and read her short story assignment in front of the class - that simple, loving act empowered a new writer. Continuing in high school, her numerous original oratorical conquests on the Speech Team led her to a journalism concentration at USC. Upon graduating, Alretha soon realized that her interest in journalism was not heartfelt. While at the taping of a live sitcom, the producer noticed her and encouraged her hand at modeling. Modeling didn't mean much to her, but it did lead her to acting and a NAACP Theatre Award Nomination (1993) for BEST ACTRESS. Alretha left acting and began to write full time. Her church gave her an outlet to fulfill her writing desires through their Liturgical Fine Arts Department wherein Alretha penned twelve theatre pieces - the community response was overwhelming. This led to full length plays outside of the church, NAACP Theatre Award winning play, Civil Rites (2004) and The Stella Adler Theater presented A Shrine to Junior (2002) nominated for an NAACP Theatre Award as well. Alretha's play Grandpa's Truth (2006) ran at the Inglewood Playhouse in Inglewood, Ca, and was extended more than once by popular demand. Not only did radio station KJLH support by recommending this production to its listeners, but notables like the Mayor of Inglewood, Roosevelt Dorn and music legends like Freda Payne and Stevie Wonder had critical acclaim for Grandpa's Truth. This wonderful piece was featured on Channel 5 (KTLA News) by Entertainment Reporter, Sam Rubin. Additionally, Alretha's play, Sacrificing Simone (2007) had a successful run at Stage 52 in Los Angeles and was called an inspirational crowd pleaser by the Los Angeles Times and her most recent work, the ground breaking One, Woman Two Lives, starring Kellita Smith (The Bernie Mac Show), directed by Denise Dowse, garnered rave reviews from critics and audiences. In between plays, Alretha's first novel Daughter Denied was launched in 2008 and has received glowing reviews from readers and book clubs across the country. Representing her book, Alretha has been the guest on many radio shows and television shows including San Francisco Public Affairs show Bay Sunday with Barbara Rodgers on KTLA Channel 5.
- Author(s)Alretha Thomas
- PublisherDiverse Arts Collective
- Date of Publication30/03/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDiverse Arts Collective
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight435 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $21.55Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.57
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.