All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeianeira sends her husband Herakles a poisoned robe. Eriphyle trades the life of her husband Amphiaraos for a golden necklace. Atreus's wife Aerope gives away the token of his sovereignty, a lamb with a golden fleece, to his brother Thyestes, who has seduced her. Gifts and exchanges always involve a certain risk in any culture, but in the ancient Greek imagination, women and gifts appear to be a particularly deadly combination. This book explores the role of gender in exchange as represented in ancient Greek culture, including Homeric epic and tragedy, n-literary texts, and icographic and historical evidence of various kinds. Using extensive insights from anthropological work on marriage, kinship, and exchange, as well as ethgraphic parallels from other traditional societies, Deborah Lyons probes the gendered division of labor among both gods and mortals, the role of marriage (and its failure) in transforming women from objects to agents of exchange, the equivocal nature of women as exchange-partners, and the importance of the sister-brother bond in understanding the ecomic and social place of women in ancient Greece. Her findings t only enlarge our understanding of social attitudes and practices in Greek antiquity but also demonstrate the applicability of ethgraphic techniques and anthropological theory to the study of ancient societies.
- Author BiographyDeborah Lyons is Associate Professor of Classics at Miami University. She is the author of Gender and Immortality: Heroines in Ancient Greek Myth and Cult and coeditor (with Raymond Westbrook) of Women and Property in Ancient Mediterranean and Near Eastern Societies.
- Author(s)Deborah Lyons
- PublisherUniversity of Texas Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2012
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationAustin, TX
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Texas Press
- Content Note5 b&w photos
- Weight624 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine509 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.