All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe nineteenth century saw the reinvention of Dante as a Romantic and national poet, his recognition as the canical 'central man of all the world' and the Commedia's diffusion as a widely accessible text. Addressing these aspects of Dante's presence during a key period of his modern reception, this collection of essays draws upon a number of papers given at the international conference 'Dante in the Nineteenth Century', held at the University of York in July 2008, and combines the work of established experts in the field with that of younger scholars who are breaking important new ground on the subject. It is distinctive in concentrating on the reception of Dante from Romanticism through the cult of Beatrice and mid-century criticism, translation and visual art, to the development of scholarship and popularization. The volume explores diverse nineteenth-century historical, intellectual, artistic and literary contexts in the cultures of Italy, France, the British Isles and the United States.
- Author BiographyNick Havely is Professor of English and Related Literature at the University of York, where he has taught courses on Dante for over thirty years. He has also held teaching posts at the University of Oxford and Cornell University. His main research interests are in late medieval literature and Anglo-Italian literary relations from the Middle Ages onwards. His work on Dante and his reception includes a number of recent and forthcoming monographs and collections of essays. He is currently engaged on the study 'Dante's Readers in the English-Speaking World, from the fourteenth century to the present', for which he was awarded a Leverhulme Research Fellowship in 2007-8.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication05/10/2011
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCultural Interactions: Studies in the Relationship Between the Arts
- Series Part/Volume Number19
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2011
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note99, ill.
- Weight520 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byNick Havely
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.