All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe Daodejing is a taproot of Chinese thinking, a hallmark of Eastern philosophy, a world literary masterpiece, and gift to mankind. Though small in size, it treats a variety of important issues and has inspired many great minds. In number of translations, it is second on to the Bible. However, existing versions are either loose or interpolative. As the many experts cited in this book show, they frequently misunderstand or misinterpret Laocius, complicate the simple or render the obscure by the more obscure. They dilute the text and destroy many of its properties, and they often reflect the understanding of the translator rather than the intent of the author. The reason for this translation is that it is literal, yet critical. The literal nature is evident when comparing the juxtaposed Chinese and English texts. Further, like the original, it is terse, logical, and consistent. In other words, it aims to measure up to Laocius' reputation and the reader's expectation.
- Author BiographyNurtured with the best of the East and West, Joseph Hsu, Ph.D., is versed in seven languages, including ancient Chinese. Having also studied literature, philosophy, and science, he is an ideal translator for this enduring classic.
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication11/09/2008
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight276 g
- Width154 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byJoseph Hsu
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.