All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLike an ancient river, Daoist traditions introduced from China once flowed powerfully through the Japanese religious landscape, forever altering its topography and ecology. Daoism's presence in Japan still may be discerned in its abiding influence on astrology, divination, festivals, literature, politics, and popular culture, t to mention Buddhism and Shinto. Despite this legacy, few English-language studies of Daoism's influence on Japanese religious culture have been published. Daoism in Japan provides an exploration of the particular pathways by which Daoist traditions entered Japan from continental East Asia. After addressing basic issues in both Daoist Studies and the study of Japanese religions, including the problems of defining 'Daoism' and 'Japanese,' the book looks at the influence of Daoism on ancient, medieval and modern Japan in turn. To do so, the volume is arranged both chrologically and topically, according to the following three broad divisions: Arrivals (c. 5th-8th centuries CE), Assimilations (794-1868), and Apparitions (1600s-present). The book demonstrates how Chinese influence on Japanese religious culture ironically proved to be crucial in establishing traditions that usually are seen as authentically, even quintessentially, Japanese. Touching on multiple facets of Japanese cultural history and religious traditions, this book is a fascinating contribution for students and scholars of Japanese Culture, History and Religions, as well as Daoist Studies.
- Author BiographyJeffrey L. Richey is Associate Professor of Religion and Asian Studies at Berea College, USA, and the author of Confucius in East Asia: Confucianism's History in China, Korea, Japan, and Viet Nam (2013), among other works on East Asian religious history.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/05/2015
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Taoism
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note25 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 13 black & white halftones, 12 black & white line drawings
- Weight521 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byJeffrey L. Richey
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $23.03New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.96
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.47
- AU $60.86Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $23.03
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.87
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.