All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Second World War had been over for three years when pilots, navigators, and air traffic controllers all over America were recalled to active duty to rescue Berlin. They were there within days and weeks, flying tired planes filled with food, coal, medicine, and mail. Many had bombed the place to rubble in 1944 and 1945. Now they and the British airmen were bringing it survival. Drawing on hundreds of interviews in the United States, Germany, and Great Britain, bestselling author Richard Reeves tells the stories of these civilian airmen, the successors to Stephen Ambrose's Civilian Soldiers, ordinary boys called to extraordinary tasks.Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin had ordered Berlin blockaded, betting that the Americans, the British, and the French would abandon the city. Many of President Truman's advisers wanted to retreat; others wanted to risk war with the USSR. Truman ordered the Berlin Airlift, neither retreat r confrontation. It ended only when West Germany was established by the three powers and NATO was born. The Soviets did the backing down. Led by Generals Lucius Clay and Curtis LeMay, the first battle in the Cold War was won. The young men came home again, some of them trying to remember where they had left their cars.
- Author BiographyRichard Reeves is the bestselling author of three presidential biographies, President Kennedy, President Nixon, and President Reagan. A syndicated columnist and winner of the American Political Science Association's Carey McWilliams Award, he lives in New York. Johnny Heller has won two prestigious Audie Awards and has earned numerous Audie nominations. He has been praised for his adult, personal development, history, comedy, and children's book narrations. Named a Best Voice of 2008 and 2009, as well as one of the Top 50 Narrators of the Twentieth Century by AudioFile magazine, Johnny has earned almost twenty Golden Earphones Awards. Two of Johnny's audiobooks have been picked by AudioFile as Best Audiobook the Year, and he has won two Publishers Weekly Listen-Up Awards.
- Author(s)Richard Reeves
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication05/01/2010
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Weight162 g
- Width172 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Narrator(s)Johnny Heller
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time510
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
Best-selling in Audio Books
- AU $46.16New
- AU $18.16New
- AU $31.48New
Save on Audio Books
- AU $47.23Trending at AU $49.10
- AU $18.49Trending at AU $20.18
- AU $27.36Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $27.76Trending at AU $50.64
- AU $31.73Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $41.06
- AU $17.69Trending at AU $22.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.