All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionData Analysis for Scientists and Engineers is a modern, graduate-level text on data analysis techniques for physical science and engineering students as well as working scientists and engineers. Edward Robinson emphasizes the principles behind various techniques so that practitioners can adapt them to their own problems, or develop new techniques when necessary. Robinson divides the book into three sections. The first section covers basic concepts in probability and includes a chapter on Monte Carlo methods with an extended discussion of Markov chain Monte Carlo sampling. The second section introduces statistics and then develops tools for fitting models to data, comparing and contrasting techniques from both frequentist and Bayesian perspectives. The final section is devoted to methods for analyzing sequences of data, such as correlation functions, periodograms, and image reconstruction. While it goes beyond elementary statistics, the text is self-contained and accessible to readers from a wide variety of backgrounds. Specialized mathematical topics are included in an appendix. Based on a graduate course on data analysis that the author has taught for many years, and couched in the looser, workaday language of scientists and engineers who wrestle directly with data, this book is ideal for courses on data analysis and a valuable resource for students, instructors, and practitioners in the physical sciences and engineering. * In-depth discussion of data analysis for scientists and engineers * Coverage of both frequentist and Bayesian approaches to data analysis * Extensive look at analysis techniques for time-series data and images * Detailed exploration of linear and nlinear modeling of data * Emphasis on error analysis * Instructor's manual (available only to professors)
- Author BiographyEdward L. Robinson is the William B. Blakemore II Regents Professor of Astronomy at the University of Texas, Austin.
- Author(s)Edward L. Robinson
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication14/10/2016
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note96 line illus. 7 tables.
- Weight1171 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine30 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.