All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPauline E. Hopkins (1859-1930) came to prominence in the early years of the twentieth century as an outspoken writer, editor, and critic. Frequently recognized for her first vel, Contending Forces , she emerged as one of the most prolific African American women writers of fiction prior to 1930 and is currently one of the most widely read and studied African American velists from that period. While nearly all of Hopkins's fiction remains in print, there is very little of her nfiction available. This reader brings together dozens of her hard-to-find essays. Also included are longer nfiction works such as Famous Men of the Negro Race , Famous Women of the Negro Race , The Dark Races of the Twentieth Century , and A Primer of Facts Pertaining to the Early Greatness of the African Race and the Possibility of Restoration by Its Descendents , some of which are published here for the first time in their entirety. Through these works, along with two juvenile essays from the 1870s, a personal letter, and two speeches, readers encounter a voice that is committed to constructing an international discourse on race, recovering the militant abolitionist tradition to combat Jim Crow, celebrating black political participation during and after the Reconstruction era, articulating the connections between race and labor, and insisting on equal rights for women. Hopkins's writing will challenge contemporary scholars to rethink their understanding of black activism and modernity in the early twentieth century.
- Author BiographyIra Dworkin is a Fulbright scholar at the University of Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication15/03/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleMulti-Ethnic Literatures of the Americas (MELA)
- Place of PublicationNew Brunswick, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRutgers University Press
- Content Note12 b&w illustrations
- Weight989 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byIra Dworkin
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $30.67Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.