All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionUsing the idea of a collectivist, humanist culture of traditional African matriarchal heritage, Ifi Amadiume contrasts daughters of the Goddess to a corrupt and oppressive culture of imperialism that she argues is the heritage of contemporary elite-led women's organizations. She examines the activities of such organizations in Nigeria, making comparisons with those in Britain and South Africa as well as international movements; looking at the 1995 Beijing International Women's Conferences, she explores internationalism as an instrument of class reproduction. The author provides a detailed account of the structures and workings of local government in Nigeria and Britain as she raises theoretical and policy issues about civic groups, civil society and the nature of the late twentieth century state. Finally, Professor Amadiume draws lessons from her own experiences working in local government to suggest measures for true gender equity and the democratisation of politics in our increasingly multicultural and multiethnic societies. This book asks some hard questions of contemporary feminist movements and provides the most detailed account available of Nigerian women's politics.
- Author BiographyIfi Amadiume is a award-winning poet and a political activist as well as an academic. She has lived in Nigeria and the UK and is currently associate professor at Dartmouth College, Hanover. There, she teaches in both the Department of Religion and the African-American Studies Programme. Professor Amadiume is author of the influential Male Daughters, Female Husbands (Zed Books, 1988) which won the Choice Outstanding Academic Book of the Year award in 1989.
- Author(s)Ifi Adadiume
- PublisherZed Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/01/2000
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintZed Books Ltd
- Content Notenotes, charts, tables, bibliography, index
- Weight440 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine27 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.81Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.