All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA Living Jazz Legend, musician and composer David Baker has made a distinctive mark on the world of music in his nearly 60-year career-as player (chiefly on trombone and cello), composer, and educator. In this richly illustrated volume, Monika Herzig explores Baker's artistic legacy, from his days as a jazz musician in Indianapolis to his long-term gig as Distinguished Professor and Chairman of the Jazz Studies department at Indiana University. Baker's credits are striking: in the 1960s he was a member of George Russell's out there sextet and orchestra; by the 1980s he was in the jazz educator's hall of fame. His compositions have been recorded by performers as diverse as Dexter Gordon and Jas Starker, the Beaux Arts Trio, the Composer's String Quartet and the Czech Philharmonic. Featuring enlightening interviews with Baker and a CD of unreleased recordings and Baker compositions, this book brings a jazz legend into clear view.
- Author BiographyMonika Herzig is a recording artist for Owl Studios and a touring jazz pianist. Her music has received awards from DownBeat Magazine, ASCAP, and Billboard. Herzig teaches classes on the music industry and community arts organizations at Indiana University as a member of the Arts Administration faculty.
- Author(s)Monika Herzig
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication16/11/2011
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note45 b&w illus., 44 music exx.
- Weight772 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine38 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.