All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionAt the age of 11, in December 1975, I became interested in pop music. Aside from David Bowies music, I was tremendously fascinated by his strange hair and clothes. Santa Claus brought me my first single titles Fame and I played it again and again. When I saw the German film Christine F, in 1982, the soundtrack was filled with Bowies music. Heroes was my favorite song. From that time on Bowies was the only music playing on my record player. Ultimately I had some 30 LPs and 40 singles. In the summer of 1983, I went to Rotterdam to see the concert The Serious Moonlight Tour. That show left a big impression. Meanwhile, coinciding with my interest in Bowie, I also developed a profound interest in photography and started my internship in Amsterdam, aspiring to become a professional photographer. When the news of a new Bowie tour broke, it was early 1987 and the first European show was scheduled in Holland. My journal entry 30 March 1987 reads: David Bowies press conference at the Amsterdam pop temple Paradiso. With two cameras one loaded with a color film and one with black and white film I rode my bike to Paradiso to wait for David Bowie. From a distance I watched him enter the venue and then I waited for him to come out again. A large group of children attending the school across the street from Paradiso suddenly broke loose and ran inside. I hesitated a moment, then followed them until I was stopped and questioned by an EMI employee. Who are you? He demanded to kw, and while my heart was pounding out of my chest, I told him I was a photographer for a local newspaper in the eastern part of the country and showed him my press card. Come with me he said, and instead of being sent away, I ended up right in the middle of the concert hall, with my hero for the first time at the other end of my camera. Over the years following this unique mini-concert, I frequently have had the chance to photograph David Bowie at various locations and venues. On 7 December, 2015 I saw David Bowie at what we kw w was his last public appearance; the Lazarus musical premiere in New York. Although I did t kw him personally, he was a constant source of musical inspiration and pleasure for me. In this book, which is a tribute to the singer who has inspired me over the years, there are pictures of the following tours: The Glass Spider, Sound and Vision, Tin Machine, Its my life, Outside, Outside Summer Festivals, and finally the Earthling Tour. It spans a decade of concerts which took place from 1987-1997 in the Netherlands. These photos of David Bowie mark the beginning, and also the breakthrough, of my career as a professional photographer. I am delighted to share these photos with you and I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do. To have been able to attend his concerts and photograph him was a feast. He is more and thats very sad. But his music lives on forever! Bernard Rubsamen, 14 January 2016.
- Author BiographyBernard Rubsamen (Amsterdam, 1964) comes from a family of photographers on his mother's side. Early on it became clear that he would go in that direction. From the age of thirteen he was busy making movies. In 1979 he chose the way of photography. Concurrent with his interest in photography was his interest in the music of David Bowie. In 1987 he photographed the press conference of David Bowie prior to The Glass Tour. Between 1987 and 1997 Bernard Rubsamen photographed the superstar during six concerts in the Netherlands. Nowadays, he photographs royals at home and abroad, but his fascination with David Bowie never disappeared. His book 'Davie Bowie on stage in Holland' is an anthology of the concerts in the eighties and nineties.
- Author(s)Bernard Rubsamen
- PublisherAspekt B.V., Uitgeverij
- Date of Publication26/04/2016
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationSoesterberg
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintAspekt B.V., Uitgeverij
- Width198 mm
- Height200 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.