All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $43.76
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.25
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
About this product
- DescriptionA PIONEER IN AMERICAN LEGAL EDUCATION In 1817 David Hoffman published A Course of Legal Study, an ambitious, systematically organized program of readings for aspiring attorneys. It was widely acclaimed upon publication; Joseph Story said it offered by far the most perfect system for the study of the law which has ever been offered to the public. Hoffman published this book while helping to establish the Law Institute of the newly founded University of Maryland. He expounded the principles of the Course in his lectures. A few were published as pamphlets to promote Hoffman's ideas and attract students. In 1837 he re-published them, along with a few related texts, in a book entitled Introductory Lectures, And Syllabus of a Course of Lectures, Delivered in the University of Maryland. The Law Library of the Library of Congress holds the only kwn copy. Life, Letters and Lectures returns this rare volume to print and adds an illuminating biographical sketch of Hoffman and a consideration of his library that reprints an auction catalogue of his books prepared for his estate by Henry Wheaton. DAVID HOFFMAN [1784-1854] was a prominent pioneer in the establishment of university-based legal education. He helped to found the University of Maryland Law School in 1816 and was its first professor. His A Course of Legal Study (1817) and Legal Outlines (1829) played a critical role in the development of law school curricula and provided guidance to hundreds of antebellum law students and attorneys. BILL SLEEMAN is the Assistant Director for Technical Services, Thurgood Marshall Law Library, The University of Maryland School of Law.
- PublisherLawbook Exchange, Ltd.
- Date of Publication11/01/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLawbook Exchange, Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight708 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byBill Sleeman
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.