All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe majority of historians have viewed Lloyd George's early career to 1896 as superficial and merely the precursor to his successes at Westminster. Emyr Price provides an altogether different view. Based on original research he asserts that Lloyd George had a very strong commitment to Home Rule (and was the first modern Welsh nationalist), official status for the Welsh language and strong labour legislation and that he campaigned fearlessly against the tide (especially within his own party) to being these measures about. His decision to become a careerist politician after 1896 was the only way he could further the cause of Welsh 'national movement'. Price also investigates Lloyd George's 'Welsh' perception of the major issues that dominated his period of power at Westminster (1908-1922) including Ireland and how these Welsh and Celtic values determined his actions.
- Author BiographyEmyr Price is a well-known figure in Welsh literary and political circles. A one-time Senior Lecturer in History at Bangor Normal College, he became Editor of the weekly publication Y Faner before moving into broadcast journalism as producer of many programmes and series for HTV including Your Century. He was educated at the University College of North Wales, Bangor and the London School of Economics.
- Author(s)Emyr Price
- PublisherUniversity of Wales Press
- Date of Publication20/11/2005
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Series TitleCeltic Radicals S.
- Place of PublicationWales
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintUniversity of Wales Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight345 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.