All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.00
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionStock car racing is a USD2-billion-a-year industry that draws crowds totaling 5.5 million fans in a single season. The beginning of stock car racing's premiere organization, NASCAR, can be traced to December 14, 1947, when Bill France began a series of meetings at the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach. Thirty-five participants debated the future of their sport and subsequently founded a professional racing series first called Strictly Stock, which eventually evolved into today's NASCAR Nextel Cup Series. Covering both the sport's humble beginnings and phemenal successes, this day-by-day reference work chronicles the important moments in NASCAR history. Also ted are such events as driver births and deaths, memorable races, and miscellaneous facts. A few abbreviated examples are: January 10, 1972: Control of NASCAR was officially passed to Bill France, Jr., taking over for his father, Bill France, Sr. February 18, 1979: The Daytona 500, broadcast on CBS, was the first live telecast of a NASCAR race from start to finish. February 18, 2001: Dale Earnhardt, Sr., dies of injuries sustained in a last lap crash at the Daytona 500. February 21, 1948: NASCAR was legally incorporated in 1948. May 29, 1994: Jeff Gordon, 22 years old, won his first Winston Cup Series race in only his 42nd NASCAR start. July 4, 1964: Racing in Daytona, A.J. Foyt earned his first career NASCAR win.
- Author BiographyRonald L. Meinstereifel is a psychologist and self-taught sports historian living in Nelson, Pennsylvania. He is also the author of This Day in Yankees History (2001).
- Author(s)Ronald L. Meinstereifel
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication31/12/2004
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Noteindex
- Weight445 g
- Width163 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.