All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJet airliner operations in the U.S. began in 1958, bringing, it was thought, a new era of fast, high, safe, smooth, sophisticated travel. But almost immediately, the new aircraft were involved in incidents and accidents that showed jets created new problems even as they solved old ones. This book discusses five disasters or near-disasters of the early Jet Age, experiences which shook the industry, regulators and public out of early complacency and helped build a more realistic foundation for safer air transportation. The book takes a detailed look at the 1966 destruction of Braniff International Airways Flight 250 in Nebraska. Nearly two years of inquiry helped advance the understanding of jet operations in severe weather and saw the first use of Cockpit Voice Recorder techlogy in an aviation accident investigation. In addition, a University of Chicago professor, Dr. Tetsuya Ted Fujita, conducted a more intensive investigation of the weather system which downed Flight 250. Over time, Dr. Fujit s already extensive kwledge of thunderstorms and tornadoes led to his creation of the Fujita Scale of Tornado Intensity, the F-scale that we hear about so frequently during storm season.
- Author BiographyRetired public school educator Steve Pollock fell in love with airliners at the age of five during a fateful encounter with a brand-new Pan Am 747. He lives in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Author(s)Steve Pollock
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/03/2014
- SubjectTransport Industries
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Noteblack & white halftones, maps
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.47New
- AU $65.12Used
- AU $78.93New
- AU $105.86New
- AU $75.86Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $21.63Trending at AU $23.16
- AU $118.00Trending at AU $128.66
- AU $17.63Trending at AU $20.12
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $25.92
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.70
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $88.09
- AU $75.90Trending at AU $82.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.