Death Liturgy and Ritual: Volume I: A Pastoral and Liturgical Theology: Volume II: A Commentary on Liturgical Texts by Revd Dr Paul P. J. Sheppy (Paperback, 2004)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $48.81Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $35.94+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeath Liturgy and Ritual is a two-volume study of Christian funerary theology and practice, presenting an invaluable account of funeral rites and the central issues involved for compilers and users. Paul Sheppy writes from direct experience of conducting funerals and of drafting liturgical resources for others. In Volume II: A Commentary on Liturgical Texts, reviews a wide range of current Christian funeral rites and examines how they reflect both the Church's concern for the death and resurrection of Christ and the contemporary secular demand for funerals which celebrate the life of the deceased. The companion volume, Volume I: A Pastoral and Liturgical Theology, proposes that the Church ought to construct its theological agenda in dialogue with other fields of study. Sheppy argues for a Christian statement about death that finds its basis in the Paschal Mystery, since human death must be explained by reference to Jesus' death, descent to the dead, and resurrection. Using the three phases of van Gennep's theory of rites of passage, the author shows how the Easter triduum may be seen as rmative for Christian liturgies of death.
- Author BiographyPaul P.J. Sheppy is a Fellow of the Centre for Baptist History and Heritage at Regent's Park College, University of Oxford and a Baptist minister in pastoral charge of a congregation in Reading, England. From 1987 to 2002 he was a member of the Joint Liturgical Group of Great Britain, serving as its Secretary from 1994. During the latter period, he was a member of the English Language Liturgical Consultation. He has been a member of the Churches' Funerals Group since 1997 and continues to serve as a Trustee of the Joint Liturgical Group. Paul Sheppy has written extensively on liturgical issues - in particular on liturgy and death. Most recently, his major review of Anglican funeral rites was published by the University of Tubingen in the encyclopaedic Im Angesicht des Todes. He is also the author of In Sure and Certain Hope, a collection of original liturgical resources for use at funerals.
- Author(s)Revd Dr Paul P. J. Sheppy
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/01/2004
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleLiturgy, Worship & Society Series
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Weight336 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Teresa Berger,Dr. Paul F. Bradshaw,Dr. Dave Leal,Professor Bryan D. Spinks,Revd Dr. Phillip Tovey
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $179.93New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.93New
- AU $93.61Used
- AU $93.61New
- AU $101.72New
- AU $81.15New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.20
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.64
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.36
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $74.31
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $109.06
- AU $22.66Trending at AU $23.29
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.