All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDeath is a comprehensive examination of that inevitable and universal human experience. To better our understanding of death - and so perhaps fear it less - the book explains the biological processes and the different causes of death, and examines the human perceptions of death throughout history and across cultures. Death is abundantly illustrated with masterpieces of art, paintings and sculptures and their representations of death, as well as abundant diagrams that explain the science of death. It methodically explores the biological limits of life, the rituals of death and describes the events surrounding the loss of life, using the most current research and medical analyses. Chapters cover diverse topics associated with death. They include: Consciousness and the soul; How the body dies; Terminal illness and dying slowly; Methods of death; Poisons, deadly animals and plants; Flu pandemics, the new viruses; Unsanitary conditions and deadly diseases; Murder and execution; Euthanasia and ethics; Creatures from beyond the grave; Violent and dramatic deaths; Cheating death. Death is sprinkled generously with humour and the wisdom of the great thinkers. Reflecting on our philosophical, scientific and spiritual understanding of death, it speaks to our visceral fears and allows us to better appreciate life.
- Author BiographyRichard Beliveau is a professor of biochemistry at the University of Quebec, where he conducts research in the prevention and treatment of cancer. He is also a research fellow in neurosurgery at Notre-Dame Hospital, professor of surgery and physiology at the University of Montreal, and research associate at the Centre for Cancer Prevention at McGill University. Denis Gingras is a researcher specializing in oncology at the University of Quebec at Montreal. They are co-authors of Foods That Fight Cancer and Cooking with Foods That Fight Cancer.
- Author(s)Denis Gingras,Richard Beliveau
- PublisherFirefly Books Ltd
- Date of Publication25/10/2012
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationOntario
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintFirefly Books Ltd
- Content NoteColour photos and illustrations
- Weight807 g
- Width210 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.