All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn 31 March 1836 the publishers Chapman and Hall launched the first issue of a new monthly periodical entitled The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club. Conceived and created by the artist Robert Seymour, it contained four of his illustrations; the words to accompany them were written by a young journalist who used the pen-name Boz. The story of a sporting-cum-drinking club presided over by fat, loveable Mr Pickwick, assisted by his cockney manservant Sam Weller, The Pickwick Papers soon became a popular sensation, outselling every other book except the Bible and Shakespeare's plays, and read and discussed by the entire population of the British Isles, from the duke's drawing-room to the lowliest chophouse. The fame of Mr Pickwick soon spread worldwide - making The Pickwick Papers the greatest literary phemen in history. But one does t need to have read a single word of The Pickwick Papers to be enthralled by the story of how this extraordinary vel came to be. The creation and afterlife of The Pickwick Papers is the subject of Stephen Jarvis' vel, Death and Mr Pickwick. This vast, intricately constructed, indeed Dickensian work is at once the ultimate homage to a much-loved book, tracing its genesis and subsequent history in fascinating detail, and a damning indictment of how an ambitious young writer expropriated ather man's ideas and then engaged in an elaborate cover-up of The Pickwick Papers' true origin. Few vels deserve to be called magnificent. Death and Mr Pickwick is one of them.
- Author BiographyStephen Jarvis was born in Essex. Death and Mr Pickwick is his first novel.
- PrizesLong-listed for Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction 2016.
- Author(s)Stephen Jarvis
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication12/05/2016
- SubjectHistorical & Mythological Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight562 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.84
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.76
- AU $36.85Trending at AU $50.53
- AU $43.80Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.61
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $8.87Trending at AU $15.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.