All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $89.95Trending at AU $108.10
- AU $52.60Trending at AU $60.89
- AU $72.44Trending at AU $78.95
- AU $13.04Trending at AU $15.65
- AU $13.84Trending at AU $17.86
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $21.38
- AU $11.65Trending at AU $17.14
About this product
- DescriptionWhen a crowd of ten thousand -- all men, t a female in sight -- assembled on the common land kwn as Monkenheath in memory of Loy Tanner's raggle-taggle 'army' of 1549, Detective Inspector Ben Jurnet and the aldermen of Angleby were apprehensive. Would the vigil of the sober crowd -- hash, alcohol -- end in the same rape and carnage as that of the bellicose throng of four and a half centuries ago? Was this contemporary phemen a disaster waiting to happen? The tenuous peace of the vast gathering was shattered when Charlie Appleyard, the mob's Messiah in Levis, spiritual heir to Loy Tanner, was found dead at the house of the town's nicest nymphomaniac, Jenny Nunn. Not until the untidy rabble was pouring into Angleby, as Tanner's 'army' had done all those centuries ago, did the forces of law and order spring into action. Death of a Hero is the eighth and last of S. T. Haymon's Ben Jurnet crime vels.
- Author BiographyOne of the purest lyric voices in the mystery field New York Times Book Review Sylvia Theresa Haymon was born in Norwich, and is best known for her eight crime fiction novels featuring the character Inspector Ben Jurnet. Haymon also wrote two non-fiction books for children, as well as two memoirs of her childhood in East Anglia. The Ben Jurnet series enjoyed success in both the UK and the US during Haymon's lifetime: Ritual Murder (1982) won the prestigious CWA Silver Dagger Award from the Crime Writers' Association. Stately Homicide (1984), a skilful variation on the country house mystery, was praised by the New York Times as a 'brilliantly crafted novel of detection...stylish serious fiction', and favourably compared to the work of Dorothy L. Sayers.
- Author(s)S. T. Haymon
- PublisherPan Macmillan
- Date of Publication12/07/2012
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Series TitleInspector Jurnet
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMacmillan Bello
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight354 g
- Width153 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Interest Age16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.